Reports To: Chief Financial/Operating Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt/Regular Full-Time
General SummaryThe Senior Accountant reports to and works closely with the Chief Financial/Operating Officer (CFO/COO) and provides support for all financial and accounting functions of the organization. Primary areas of responsibility include: monthly close journal entries, financial statement preparation, payroll, accounts payable, funder invoicing, account reconciliation, budget monitoring, fixed asset management and assistance with Pangaea’s annual tax return preparation. In addition, the Senior Accountant will support the annual external audit as it relates to areas of responsibility. The Senior Accountant must be a highly motivated and detail-oriented individual with excellent communication skills who values accountability and thrives in a highly demanding and fast-paced environment.
Essential Job Functions
1. Maintains general ledger using Quick Books, including completing and posting journal entries, monthly closings and financial statement preparation, analysis and reporting.
2. Ensures financials follow Generally Accepted Accounting Principles ("GAAP").
3. Manages the chart of accounts, and completes monthly account reconciliations.
4. Manages the balance sheet to ensure accuracy; maintains accounts receivable and accrued expenses.
5. Reconciles all bank and investment accounts.
6. Communicates and coordinates with Zimbabwe office to obtain financial information to be included in monthly close.
7. Reconciles credit card statements and communicates and coordinates monthly deadlines for submission with Pangaea staff.
8. Prepares weekly cash reports utilizing on-line banking software.
9. Completes all accounts payable functions, including check processing, maintaining vendor files, preparation of form 1099s and reconciliation of accounts payable balances.
10. Completes monthly and/or quarterly funder invoices; ensures all invoices submitted are accurate, allowable, reasonable and within budget.
11. Coordinates and processes semi-monthly payroll with outside service provider.
12. Completes monthly labor allocations and reports; ensures that allocations are updated in a timely manner and in accordance with project budgets.
13. Responds to internal and external financial and contractual inquiries.
14. Assists with the development of project budgets and works with program staff to create and monitor budget projections.
15. Maintains inventory of fixed assets; calculates appropriate depreciation and amortization schedules; performs annual physical inventory.
16. Completes detailed schedules and reconciliations as needed for the annual Form 990 tax return.
17. Completes financial statements, schedules and analysis for annual external audits.
18. Completes various schedules and analysis related to Pangaea’s activities to support the financial aspects of the organization.
19. Assists CFO/COO with the development, analysis and monitoring of the organization’s annual operating budget.
20. Documents all aspects of job responsibilities and assists with updating and/or creating accounting policies and procedures.
21. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and abilities
22. Strong accounting skills in a non-profit environment.
23. Experience with fund accounting highly desired.
24. Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and familiarity with GAAP.
25. Strong attention to detail.
26. Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
27. Superior problem solving and analytical skills, to work through complex problems in order to reach justifiable conclusions to support the team.
28. Demonstrates personal responsibility by meeting commitments on time, accepts accountability, handles changes, and sets personal standards and boundaries.
29. Flexibility, judgment and initiative, as well as the ability to work independently, combined with the skills for thriving in a team environment.
30. Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail.
31. Excellent computer skills, with proficiency in Excel and Word. Proficiency in Quick Books highly desired.
32. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
33. Ability to communicate with employees and other agency contacts in a courteous and professional manner.
34. Ability to make decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures.
35. Ability to work comfortably with diverse populations, with sensitivity to issues concerning HIV and all disabilities.
Bachelor's Degree in accounting or Associate's Degree and commensurate experience required with a minimum of 3-5 years accounting experience reflecting levels of increased responsibility. Preferred skills are experience with fund accounting, Quick Books and working in a non-profit environment.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and, skills required of personnel so classified.
Submit résumé and a cover letter highlighting relevant past experience and why you are interested in working at Pangaea to:
Attn: Liz Hernandez
Pangaea Global AIDS
436 14th Street, Suite 920
Oakland, CA 94612
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Due to the potential volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.